Do you own a smartphone, a laptop, a PC and a tablet? Do you frequently toggle between one device and the other? You’re not alone.
Year over year, customers have increasingly shown a penchant for multi-screen usage. We now have the ability to create a highly personalized experience while performing a variety of tasks across a staggering array of platforms.
The challenge for marketers is to understand how to communicate effectively with today’s cross-screen customers and finding opportunities to reach them.
A new study commissioned by comScore and Jumptap titled “Screen Jumping: Understanding Today’s Cross-Screen Consumer” aims to help marketers learn the implications for engaging with today’s fluid media consumer.
The study highlights ways people interact with their devices and how engagement varies by platform and the time of day. It also shows how key audiences engage with content differently across a PC, laptop, smartphone and tablet.
Here are some of the things marketers should be aware of when engaging with the cross-screen customer:
- Half of all time spent online is on mobile devices. Time on smartphones and tablets include both mobile browsing and apps.
- 92 percent of time on mobile is spent checking the weather and streaming radio; 75 percent of time is spent on social media.
- Tablet usage peaks in the morning and at bedtime, with weather search highest in the morning and gaming highest at nighttime.
- Tablet ownership is growing the fastest across all demographics, with 59 percent growth year over year.
- 69 percent of women aged 25 to 49 are cross-platform and spend 63 hours monthly on their smartphone.
- 74 percent of men aged 25 to 49 are cross-platform and spend most of their time with sports content on their smartphone.
While consumers are moving across screens in a very disconnected way, it’s important to understand the type of content that is being consumed by various demographic groups at specific times of the day. For example, the device we choose to use is often driven by our context: where we are, what we want to accomplish and the amount of time needed.
We are a nation of multi-screeners. In a technology-driven society, marketers should be considering unique ways to develop messaging and content to tap into the core – and sometimes inseparable relationship – customers have with their devices.
At today’s Cross Screen Summit starting at 4pm, Jumptap will unveil these new insights produced with comScore that dive into the behavior of today’s fluid media consumer. For more information, visit advertisingweek.com.
Alyse Lorber is the global marketing assistant at gyro.
Follow Alyse @alyse_michelle